Tuesday, December 16, 2008

25: Semester Reflection - What I'm Proud Of

The first example of work I am proud of is my American Icons photo.

I am proud of this work because I created a great photo essay to go along with it. The final product looks polished and nice, and I believe it follows all the requirements, and then some. I feel the effects in it were great, and I made something that was perfectly fitting and accurate for the icon I chose. Without knowing what the project was, a person could still look at this picture and see that I was creating a spoof on Adam Sandler's movie "You Don't Mess With The Zohan."
I accomplished this through planning, drafting, and revision. I first looked through the internet and found the person I wanted my picture to be about. I then found something that he did that closely related to an interest of mine. I then took the picture, and photoshopped it. I had my teacher and peers look at it, and it went through a few revisions, until it looked finished (The main revisions involved color changes, text, cropping, and green screening).

The second example of work I am proud of is my video about water quality at the beach (Transcript in italics, at the bottom of the blog).

I am proud of this final product because it looks incredibly well done, to the extent that in order to critique it my teacher needed to pick at insignificant minuscule things that no one but an editor would notice. I digress, the majority of viewers really favored the video. It is fun, engaging, informative, and seamless.
I accomplished this by drafting a script, and getting it revised by my peers and teacher. This helped quite a bit, since even though the original script was good, it was nowhere near as good as it was once it was done getting critiqued. I then used that script as instructions for who, what, and where to shoot. I recorded my voiceover, gathered the data, shot the video, and compiled it all. After a few more (minor) revisions to the video, I ended up with my final product.

Transcript:

(Show footage of shoreline and waves). Take a look at that beautiful ocean. Don’t you just want to just go swim in it? Well…you might want to reconsider. That water could be chock full of bacteria. You may be thinking “Everything has bacteria.” Well while this is true, this water may just have enough to keep you from taking a dip anywhere other than your local swimming pool.

(Show main title: “What Do You Really Know?”)

(Show driving clips and street signs timed to music)

As you can see, we’re in California. But, let’s get a little more specific. (show San Diego San Diego. sign). Ah, there we go.

(Show beach B-Roll) The beaches along the San Diego coastline are currently in danger of being contaminated. The problem? The public may not be informed of this. In order to meet budget cuts, frequent water testing of San Diego’s beaches was one of the first things to go. So why is this important? Well, for one…(show list on screen as it is read aloud) YOUR HEALTH. Two, YOUR LIFE. And three… it’s not exactly hygienic. (Bulletpoints go “Health,” “Life,” and “Smelly.”

(show storm drain P.B. Point) What does this look like to you? A storm drain? Well, you’re absolutely right. You want to know where this storm drain is located? (reveal location on video) P.B. Point. Whenever it rains, contaminated water pours out of this, and right into the ocean. As a class, we actually tested this water, and as we found out, the levels of E. Coli were more than 10 times more the concentrated San Diego limit.

It’s important that the public is informed of these water levels. Even if the beach isn’t at the point where it needs to be closed down, it could still be hazardous to people’s health. Listen to what some of some beach goers have to say about the water quality.

(Show text) What do you know about the water quality at the beach?

Man: What we know is what-uh, what’s coming in the media.

Man: It’s never really been an issue, so nothing.

Man: I don’t know too much about specifics.

Girl: Nothing?...

Man: I don’t know too much about it

Boy: I’m at the point where I know the water’s not good that I won’t – I won’t swim in it

Girl: Nothing!

Man: I don’t know much

Woman: I don’t really know much about it.

(Show text) Has anything bad ever happened to you from going in the water?

Girl: Maybe an infection, on a cut.

Man: I got a full sinus infection, it must’ve been from the water. I had this really bright yellow-green almost fluorescent looking stuff come out of my nose, draining, it was disgusting.

Man: I’ve gotten sick like a couple of times like after I’ve like gone in the water.

Woman: Three years ago the doctor said that I had to have a Hepatitis B shot, so that, umm, because the water in San Diego is pretty dirty.

Woman: Sadie, a dog actually a golden retriever, every time she drinks the water she vomits.

Man: Yeah I used to surf a lot here in (incoherent location) and I’ve gotten sick a few times like right after.

(Show text) Do you think those may tie in with what’s in our water?

Man: Yeah, I mean I’m sure it definitely could, but I don’t know enough about the issue to really be able to say.

(Show the people with blank faces, as they’re contemplating the question)

See? A lot of these guys didn’t know the first thing about anything. But it’s not their fault. They’re not being told. If they were, they would be running for the hills, or at least…their showers.

Let’s have a look at the test results for some of San Diego’s most popular beaches. We’re going be comparing 3 of them. O.B. Rivermouth, Crystal Pier, and P.B. Point.

Lets start off with some vocabulary. Do you know what E. Coli, Enterococci, and Coliforms are? Well I can tell you this. They’re found often in the gastrointestinal tract. Basically, these are the main bacteria found in feces.

(Text, flashing) FECES

(With happy tone) With that in mind:

(Show as list on screen) The limit for total coliforms in the water is 10,000/100 ml

The limit for E. Coli is 235/100ml

And the limit for Enterococci is 104/100 ml

A red line marks where the clean water limits are on the graph

It rained on the 4th of November. On the 13th, the coliform levels at crystal pier were at 408/100ml. The E. Coli levels were at 86/100ml. And, the Enterococci were at 158/100ml. Keep in mind, the only common knowledge beachgoers have is the 3 day rule – don’t go to the beach for 3 days after it rains. However, the 13th is quite a few more than 3 days past the 4th. So people were back in this water, swimming away, without a care in the world.

Next up was P.B. Point. The Enterococci levels on the 12th were 10/100ml. Same on the 17th, too. Also on the 17th, the E. Coli levels were at 81/100ml and the coliforms were at 1261/ml

And finally, O.B. Rivermouth. This is the water that feeds right into dog beach. On the 13th, the enterococci reached 748/100ml. On the 6th, the E. Coli was at 288/100ml, and the coliforms were at 2613/100ml.

In short, there are 2 main issues surrounding San Diego’s water – the quality, and the lack of testing. To fix quality, it’s actually relatively simple. Throw your trash away in the little bin marked trash, and throw your recyclables away in the one marked recycle. Don’t water your lawn or wash your car quite so much. That dirty water goes down the storm drains and right into our oceans. And we could all honestly care less whether or not there’s bird poo on your bumper. As for the testing, well, you’d be surprised how much one voice can carry. So imagine a lot of them. Make your voice one of those many. Demand consistent water testing, and the results to go with it.

So, do you still not realize why you should care about the quality of our water? Or whether or not it gets frequently checked? If you don’t, you might want to get your hearing checked. After all, that bacteria could have given you an ear infection. Or, if you just weren’t listening, I’ll rehash the reasons why you, the San Diego citizen, should care.

(show bullet points onscreen).

-You think infections are gross

-You want to be more informed

-You like living

For these reasons, and many more, I encourage you to take action regarding our water quality today. Believe it or not, we can each do our own part. And it’s really not too hard. Just make your voice heard. Like me. You’re listening to me, aren’t you? Why ARE you listening to me? Go get off your can and do something.

(Text) To learn more, visit mediasavesthebeach.org

(Cut to black)

(Text) Created by: Kevin Middleton

No comments: