Thursday, October 16, 2008

15: Een Yoonited States - INTERNET informs YOU!I

The Internet Gains In Politics
Andrew Kohut
Pew Internet
1/11/08

The
internet has had a massive effect on the way this generation examines politics and current events. Because of this, we are far more well informed, and we have the confidence of knowing that the full story on virtually anything we want to know is always just a mouse click away.

I agree and connect so much with this idea,
because it is something that is more a part of my academic life than anything else. Case and point: the blog I am writing about right now. What is it about? Current events. What was required of me in order for me to find current events? Research. How did I do the research? THE INTERNET. That's basically what it all is in Lehman's terms, anyway. The school I go to really helps to enforce it all, as well. There is no class I have ever had that has not, at some point or another, required online research of modern life.

What I like about this article is that there is no twist - it's relatively short and to the point, and doesn't have any sort of framing or bias (no detectable one, at least). It simply states how many people are now turning to the internet for virtually all of their information. The reason I appreciate the fact that this article doesn't list the downsides is because I don't feel there are too many
worth discussing. True, there are online sources which can be untrustworthy, but people simply need to learn how to avoid these. We shouldn't try to push away from something which has accomplished bringing people together, enhancing our forms of communication, and expanding the minds of people everywhere.

No comments: