Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Obamaguration

"Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions — who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short. For they have forgotten what this country has already done; what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage."

Above is the section of President Barack H. Obama's inaugural address which I have chosen as the one which most resonates with me. I have chosen this because with this line, he is directly addressing a large portion of this nation, and telling them why they are wrong, without needing to use a shred of evidence. The has used the idealistic values which is he so famous for, and applied them in a way which helps us to be more idealistic ourselves, and makes us all realize that if we all shared in his enthusiam, our nation's problems would be a thing of the past.

The reason these words resonate with me is not because they relate to something in my everyday life, but rather, because they describe something which I have no memory of experiencing within my lifetime. He describes a national mindset and an amount of change which I have never seen from America in my lifetime, but lately, have been hoping to. This level of idealism, instead of sedistic realism, is something I have neither seen from the government, nor the people of this nation. For this reason, when he says that if we as a people work together, we can accomplish most anything we set our minds to, it strikes me, for this new and invigerating thought is enough to really make me ready to believe in America again.

No comments: