Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Outstanding Blogz with a Z because they are OUTSTANDING.

Examples Of Great Blogs:

-Economic advice to Barack Obama - Jacob Harris
This blog was outstanding because it provided a detailed list of ideas for making this country a better place. All the ideas were based on supporting evidence or logic, and weren't just ideas that have been hashed out and used again and again, but new, inventive ideas, such as this one. "Socialize the medical system slowly but surely, so the citizens of America don't feel as pressured into not going to the Hospital for a bad flu." This is why I felt this advice to Barack Obama was well done.

-Literary Analysis - Sydney Lampe
For an honors blog, this person wrote about the book she read - The Great Gatsby. This tells the theme and all the different primary literary elements of the book, and brings them all together and shows the connections. This can be seen right from the thesis, where she states: The Great Gatsby is a novel that addresses many issues. Scott Fitzgerald develops the theme using literacy devices such as symbolism, character description and historical evidence through the book." This gave me knowledge of a book which I knew nothing about other than the title.

-Historical Writing - Ariannah Hood
This was an honors history blog, and it told the story of populism, and the elections in 1893 and 1993. One part of the blog says:
Populism, is fighting for the middle class/ working person. Building up to this election populism was very active. All the industrial workers getting right and starting a National Labor Union, having better education for immigrants and women were gaining more rights." This was a well written blog, which informed me a subject I had never known about before this. It was also obviously backed by much research and background knowledge.

-Another Thing That Makes Blogs Great - Jessica Matthews
Something else that makes blogs great is self reflection. It's something seen relatively rarely, so when it does come along, it helps the reader to get a better idea of the person who is writing and article, and what their opinions and beliefs are. An example of this can be seen here: "My junior year humanities class has helped me so much in my own understanding of our country. I feel that my own opinions are not based so much on what other people think, but what I feel is right or wrong. I have been learned how to form my own opinions and biases and how to dig deeper than just the mainstream media and find out the real facts. I really like the discussions that we as a class have because I like learning from not only teachers but my own peers."

No comments: