Tuesday, November 18, 2008

H20 Project Update

In my research for my project, I am out to prove the points that our water is dirty and that it needs to be cleaned and/or tested.  So far, I am discovering many facts that help to prove my point.  For example, I found out from Heal The Bay that a beach I am studying for my project - P.B. Point - was closed for 4 days in 2006 due to a sewage spill.  It has been closed many times since then for longer periods of time, for the same reason.  However, some other beaches listed have been closed for as many as 68 days.  

I am surprised at these facts and numbers, along with many of the other ones I am coming across, such as this one.  Apparently, the problem doesn't just lie with San Diego's water, it's with our neighboring states and countries.  Tijuana's water is incredibly polluted, and their beaches are often closed for much longer than our beaches.  However, it seems that this isn't just Tijuana's problem any more.  The water comes down to San Diego, and sweeps up on our beaches.  While this isn't something we can personally help, it is still the exact reason we need to continue consistently testing our water - so that we don't end up swimming in filthy polluted water.  

I believe my writing is already incredibly cool - I have a lot of humor in the video script I have drawn up, and it is simple and catches the ear.  My next step in the process is going to be to compile the data I gather from testing, compile my peer's data, bring my video camera into class tomorrow to film Brandon's class testing the water, and go shoot video of the different beaches this weekend.  Once that is all done, all I will have left to do is finish drawing up the script, record the voiceover, and edit it all together.  

No comments: